Monday, July 03, 2000

 

Quickie Trip To The Dordogne

The children and I had a lovely, relaxing break in the Dordogne last month. They really enjoyed the six-hour train trip. On the way there our carriage was full of lively and noisy teenagers, so my two were able to jump about, talk and laugh, without disturbing anyone. Pauline chatted to lots of people and collected sweets and games for herself and Kevin!

The weather was beautifully hot and sunny for the whole five days, we were so lucky. The highlight of the trip for me were the restaurant meals and shopping trips. For the children it must have been the hours spent in the garden catching tadpoles and newts in the old-fashioned stone laundry tub which has a stream running through it. They also loved picking (and eating!) lettuces, radishes and carrots from the garden. Why won't they eat supermarket carrots at home?!

School ended on an emotional note last Friday. Kevin has completed his three years of nursery school, and was kissed and hugged by his lovely teacher Geneviève. She really brought him out of his shell over the months, and he progressed in writing, drawing and games. It is a joy to see him gaining in confidence. Although he is still very reserved with adults and strangers, he doesn't seem as frightened of them as he used to be.

Pauline is more outgoing and chatty, also very independent. She's playing in another room as I type this, and she just doesn't seem to need my constant presence anymore. She had a little friend to play yesterday and they spent the whole time in the garden as far away from me as possible! Often the children play in the bedroom with the door shut and tell me I'm not allowed in. That's fine by me!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?