Tuesday, May 23, 2000

 

Springtime Hospitality

I'm just recovering from three weeks of non-stop visitors. Firstly Lorna from Ireland, my long-lost au pair friend from my Munich days, and her 4 year-old daughter N. We hadn't seen each other in 14 years, so it was a gas catching up on all the gossip. Her daughter played so well with my kids, although they kept speaking to her in French. She retaliated by saying "Macaroni!" and she even spoke some Irish to them! Sadly it rained on Easter Sunday, but that didn't stop them having fun.


Then came Annette from Germany with her two daughters and Polish au pair Anna, who was charming and so laid back... she just took the wee brats out of my way every time I started getting frazzled. I think I'd like her to stay permanently!

By this time Kevin and Pauline were getting a bit fed up with having to share their toys, living space and mother's attention with so many strangers, so it was quite a relief for them when my farming friends from New Zealand arrived with NO CHILDREN in tow.

Life is so hard: I had to show my friends around Paris, Fontainebleau and our village, buy delicious foods and wines, stay up late drinking, laughing and telling my oldest dirty jokes, accompany them to restaurants, EuroDisney, festivals, discos (well, not really, not at my age!), etc.

So it was exciting and exhausting, all a bit unreal. I've washed the sheets and vacuumed the house for the last time and am looking forward to a wee holiday myself.

First there's our school fair next weekend, so I'm doing lots of organising, baking and setting up stands. After that I'll probably be ready to collapse, so I'm taking the children on the train down to the Dordogne for five days. Méemée and Pépé will be down there in their little holiday cottage, so I'll hand over total control of their darling grandchildren for as much as possible. I plan to lie on the grass in the sun with a book and a glass of wine at every possible opportunity. If I can summon up the energy I will eat the odd meal and perhaps cool off in the river if it gets too hot, darlings. Tell me you feel really sorry for me...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?