Sunday, March 26, 2000

 

How Does Your Garden Grow?

We've had lovely spring weather and I was really keen to get my vegie garden started early this year, so have been doing lots of digging and composting. I've sowed lots of seeds in indoor trays, as it's so much cheaper to start from scratch, rather than buy little plants in a month's time and plant them directly in the garden. Kevin has sowed radishes, peas and carrots in his little plot and indoors I have tomatoes, lettuce, basil and - for the first time - aubergines (which is rather brave of me!) I'm preparing a plot for potatoes too. I spent two whole days digging up the old strawberry plants, trimming their roots and replanting them in a new plot lined with black plastic, which will save me a lot of weeding. I'm going to sow the same seeds every two weeks, so we'll have a continuous supply. It feels really good to be organized this time, instead of the more haphazard and impulsive gardening I did previously. Last year all the sweet corn ripened at once, so this year I want to be able to enjoy it all summer long.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?